• MENU
School History

Introduction

List of 1 items.

  • School History

    The school life of Belmont Hill began September 26, 1923, just six months after its incorporation. On that day, 45 eager boys and a path-breaking faculty of 7 met for the first time in an "olde English" suburban manor house on the sparsely populated hilltop in northwest Belmont that had been purchased and refitted from its brief earlier life as a model home for a failed real estate development.

    Into the house just weeks before had moved Reginald Heber Howe, founding headmaster, who together with his family took up residence on the second floor. The ground floor offered space for classes, study and assembly, while perched in the third story (and in a neighboring farmhouse) were nests for scholars. Since that time, in this red brick house, now the hub of an expanded campus, has resided every head of the school and his family. They are still sensed there as fleeting, congenial spirits by those who know of the house's history and their lives.
    Read More
    • Early Campus Drawing
350 PROSPECT STREET · BELMONT, MA 02478 · T(617) 484-4410 · CONTACT US
Belmont Hill is a community dedicated to developing boys in mind, body, spirit. In a school that challenges and supports students in and beyond the class-room, we strive for excellence, honoring clear thinking and creativity, competition and teamwork, and tradition and vision.